Details on this approach can be found here.
Here are plants suggested from various sites:
- Floating plants: Amazon Frogbit, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)
- Stem plants: Anacharis densa, Anacharis narrowleaf, Ludwigia repens, Moneywort, Rotala Indica, Rotala Rotundafolia, Pygmy Chain Sword (Echinodorus tenellus), Grass-leaved Arrowhead (Sagittaria graminae )
- Other rooting plants: Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri), Walmart Aponogeton, Vallisneria Spiralis Leopard, Java Fern
- Rhizome plants: Anubias Coffeefolia, Java Windelov Fern
- Moss: Java moss, Marmimo moss balls, Subwassertang
Here’s a nice video. The two species discussed here that might work best for the new tank are Jungle Val Italian (long thin grass like) and Bacopa (stem plant for each side).
Foreground Carpet Plants
S. Repins, dwarf sagitaria, dwarf or pygmy amazon swords.
Side Stem Plants
As mentioned above and others: Bacopa, Anacharis Densa.
I’ve discussed this before. Tom Levy’s web site has a good discussion. However you notice that he thinks you cannot make it at home effectively.
This site suggests that you can.